Therapeutic Special Needs Camp
“I still remember camp like it was last week. It was one of the many experiences that helped me reach where I am today. I am now a 19 year old entering my senior year. I couldn’t have done it without camp, so thank you. Thanks to the experiences I had in the program, I am fully integrated into the school and am excelling.” -Camper
Camp Triumph is a therapeutic day camp for boys and girls in Massachusetts. The camp program offers a supportive, encouraging environment designed to help children with special needs increase their feelings of self-esteem and improve their social, physical and psychological competence. Download a registration form here.
Camp Triumph opened in 1983 as a summer therapeutic program for children. Our program has been located on the north shore of Boston since 1991. In 2003 we opened a location in North Reading and in 2006 we opened a location in Bedford. We look forward to returning for another successful year at the Hood School in North Reading and the John Glenn Middle School in Bedford. Campers in North Reading and Bedford will have access to exciting indoor activities, outdoor play spaces and swimming in nearby pools.
Camp Triumph was founded on the principle that children grow and thrive with the opportunity to interact with one another in structured play and cooperative activities. The child’s experience is enhanced through relationships with professionally trained counselors who are committed to children and are knowledgeable in techniques for facilitating change. By building rapport based on support and acceptance, the counselor is able to encourage and coach each camper to enhance his or her social development. Children learn to solve problems and develop positive peer relations while having fun and being creative.
Camp Triumph is a specialized summer day program for boys and girls ages 5 – 16. Some of the Camp Triumph campers have not had a positive camping experience in a regular day camp, but do not require a camp for children with severe psychological, mental, or physical difficulties. While our campers are very diverse, some of them have diagnoses such as ADHD, Executive Functioning Disorder, Asperger’s Syndrome, Non-Verbal Learning Disability, Pragmatic Language Deficit, and Anxiety Disorder. The group sizes for camp are 11-12 children per group with 3 counselors. The ratio in the groups is 3:1 ratio with a licensed psychologist to supervise staff.
Children who attend Camp Triumph may benefit in the following ways:
- Acquire self-confidence
- Increase physical skills and coordination
- Develop better social skills
- Learn to channel energy constructively
- Learn age-appropriate behavior
- Become more assertive
- Reduce anxiety
- Cope better with transitions
Camp Triumph is open to children regardless of sex, race, religion, ethnic background or disability.
Camp Triumph is directed by Dr. Chris Anderson and supervised by Dr. George Marinakis and Dr. Jeff Colucci who are the Co-Directors of the Triumph Center in Reading, Beverly and Lexington. Staff members include professionals and students with training in clinical and counseling psychology, school psychology, social work, and regular/special education.
Two Camps in Massachusetts:
- Camp Triumph in North Reading is located at the J.T. Hood School, 298 Haverhill Street. This facility includes an indoor gym, air-conditioned indoor activity space, outdoor athletic fields, and a playground area. The camp will use a nearby swimming facility for recreational swim.
- Camp Triumph in Bedford is located at The John Glenn Middle School, 99 McMahon Road. This facility includes air conditioned indoor activity space, playground and outdoor athletic fields.
It is the responsibility of the parents/guardians to arrange transportation. Campers are dropped off starting at 8:50 a.m Monday through Friday. Campers are picked up Monday through Thursday at 3:00 p.m. and at 12:00 p.m. on Friday at their respective sites. Camp Triumph provides transportation to and from Camp sponsored activities.
- Therapeutic group activities
- Group discussion
- Teambuilding ropes course for older campers
- Expressive movement
- Creative arts therapy
- Behavioral interventions
- Arts & crafts
- Team and recreational sports
- Outdoor adventure
- Cooperative/non-competitive games
- Bus transportation to off site activities
- Contact us for a brochure and application packet or DOWNLOAD A REGISTRATION FORM HERE.
- Send in a completed camper information form to Triumph Center, 36 Woburn Street, Reading, MA 01867 and a $95 check (interview fee) payable to: Triumph Center, no later than May 1, 2016 in order to set up an interview. The purpose of the interview is to ascertain individual needs and assist in determining the most appropriate group placement.
- All new campers must be interviewed prior to acceptance to the program. Interviews can occur in Beverly, Reading or Lexington. (Interviews for returning campers are not necessary.)
- Following the interview, a signed application form must be submitted.
Welcome back, please submit a signed application form to Triumph Center, 36 Woburn Street, Reading, MA 01867 no later than May 1, 2016.
Acceptance Procedure & Forms
Once the application has been reviewed, written notification of the decision will be sent within two weeks. Campers are considered for placement on a first come, first serve basis. Further, in order to attend camp, once accepted, you must:
- Pay a $1,000.00 deposit within one week of acceptance letter.
- Submit completed health, immunization, and camper information forms.
- Pay balance due by June 1st to secure child’s spot in camp.
$1,800.00 for a three week period; $1,335.00 for a two week period; $675.00 per week for individual weeks and $4,935.00 for the Full 8 week season.For any child who has not participated in the group program or Camp Triumph last year, there is also a non-refundable $95 interview fee. Please contact our office for School Fees/Prices.
The start date may be delayed because of make up snow day schedules in North Reading and Bedford.
A bill for the balance due (registration fee and balance of tuition) will be sent to you with payment in full required by June 1st. Visa and Mastercard are accepted.
In cases of financial hardship, at the administrators’ discretion, it may be possible to negotiate a payment plan.
Dates and Times
Period I June 27 – July 15
Period II July 18 – August 5
Period III August 8 – August 19 **
Full Season June 27 – August 19
** Indicates a 2 week period
For the sake of group continuity, a camper must be enrolled for a minimum of one of the periods above. Additional weeks in other periods may be possible if space is available.
9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. Monday through Thursday
9:00 a.m. to noon on Fridays
For More Information
To call, write or email, contact us.
Directions to Camp Triumph
In North Reading, click here
In Bedford, click here